This page was last updated on: April 7, 1998
|Choose a section from the Inkpot's Zine Scene|
|Academic/ Theory / Art & Antiques / Automobiles / Business / Business: Online Marketing / Business: Home Business / Comics / Computers/ Gaming / Editorials/ Opinions / Entertainment|
|Fashion / Food/Drink / Gay/ Lesbian / Health / Home Improvement & Design / Humour (A-J) / Humour (K-Z) / Inspirational / Internet: Mac|
|Internet / International / Literary (A-L) / Literary (M-Z) / Miscellaneous / Magazines / Media/ News / News/ Parody / News/ Politics / Movies / Music / Pets|
|Pop Culture (A-E) / Pop Culture (F-N)) / Pop Culture (P-Z) / Religion / Romance / Science / Science Fiction / Sports / Theatre / Travel / Visual Arts / Women / Zines from Singapore|
What the heck do all these categories mean?
Why isn't MY zine listed here?
Search The Flying Inkpot's Zine and other Resource Link Directories
Welcome to another of The Flying Inkpot's resource lists: our Zine Scene, being a collection of online newspapers, newsletters, periodicals, zines, magazines and publications that are updated with the slightest modicum of regularity.
We started out by just looking for zines, but soon realized that it's awfully hard to define a "zine," and soon our categories grew very fuzzy around the edges. Because of this, we actually have in our collection a whole bunch of things that aren't as cool as zines, but which we felt we'd like to include.
Here's an attempt to sort of explain all our categories so if you actually come here with a topical zine in mind you'll be able to find it, sort of. If that doesn't work (it probably won't), try the more effective Key Word Search thing we've hooked up.
April 8: More categories added: Religion, for magazines with a specific religious focus, Inspirational, for motivational, or EQ-type publications, News/ Parodies for publications that specifically ape a newspaper or journalistic style.
March 8: We've found a buggy thing with our search script, which we're slowly changing: it has to do with line errors in our database and not the script itself. SO
- With keyword searches, some zines in our database may not show up, even though they're listed on their subject page. You might want to take a look at subject pages if you have the time, to weed out the zine you have in mind.
- With keyword saerches, some zines may not show up properly in the search results list. We're looking into this at the moment.
If we don't have your zine in here, we're sorry! We're only human! Please EMAIL us your URL, category, title and zine description at once! It might take a while, but we'll get it up.
- New category, badly in need of additions. Magazines or publications that have a specific religious focus. Different categories of religion will be added accordingly.
- MOTIVATIONAL/ INSPIRATIONAL
- Newsletter or webzines aimed at inspiring or motivating individuals. Focusing on raising the emotional intelligence, inspiring confidence, that kind of thing. Expect some crossover with the Health section.
- GAY/ LESBIAN
- New category, badly in need of additions. Zines which focus on gay or lesbian issues, writings, chats, etc.
- ZINES FROM SINGAPORE
- Online publications from Singapore, about Singaporeans and other mutations. Includes music, editorials, review magazines and entertainment listing sites.
- INTERIOR DESIGN/ HOME IMPROVEMENT
- Home Improvement type magazines, with tips on interior design.
- Collections of academic journals, official papers, or zines which encourage theoretical discussions and publish academic essays.
- Trucks, bikes, cars, and other things with engines: all zines on these things we put in here.
- Publications about business strategy, news and advice. Business newsletters about the internet or internet technology are put in this section.
- COMPUTERS/ GAMING
- All zines about computer gaming, software, hardware, networking and "hard-core" techno advice and tips found here. PC magazines, Mac magazines, electronic game zines, hacking, etc. Layman web stuff can be found under "News," "Pop culture" or "Magazines." Internet games zines are found here, as well as under "Internet."
- This section is for political columns, funny columns, lifestyle columns, basically any sort of zine/newsletter that has its writers concerned mainly with the issuing of *opinions*, discussing stuff, commentary or just plain ranting about something.
- A lot of the sites here aren't actually "zines" but "zines-cum-entertainment-sites." They tend to have resource lists and/or are updated almost daily. They also cover more than one area (eg, music, music, television and gossip, instead of, say, just movies), and are more "presentable" and slightly more formal than your average "hey i made this myself" zine.
- Style and Fashion magazines are found here. Something like "Vogue" would be found here as well as in the "Magazines" section.
- We don't have as many zines in this section as we like. Food zines: recipe newsletters, restaurant guides, wines, international cuisine links.
- FICTION/ POETRY
- Literary and art-related zines focusing on poetry, fiction (novels and so on), plays: the publishing or discussing of. Also, book reviews and other original work. February 19: This section has gotten so huge that we had to split it into sections A-L and M-Z.
- SCIENCE FICTION/ FANTASY
- Predominantly science fiction or speculative fiction, and fantasy fiction. Don't ask us why we decided to have a seperate category for this. We just did, OK??
- Hopefully you'll help us beef up this section a bit. Healthy living newsletters, medical-related updates, environmental living, etc.
- We put all the zines focused mainly on satirizing something, parodying something, or which just had funny-sounding names here.
- This section is for zines with a dominant interest in internet topics. Included are IT updates, internet resource newsletters like The Weekly Bookmark, internet news zines. Actual world news is found in the "News/Media" section. A magazine like "PC World" will be found in the "Computers" section.
- These are zines with contents relating specifically to certain areas (eg, "@NY: The New York Internet Newsletter"), with news, updates and entertainment listings.
- Zines catering to the travellor. Included are tourist magazines covering specific areas (eg: Freetime UK Online--a tourist newspaper on the UK) as well as general travel magazines, zines with travel advice and observations, and zines with specific focus on certain types of holiday activities (eg diving holidays).
- Magazines, periodicals and publications which put up new issues on a strict, regular basis. Also, online versions of known print magazines (eg, People magazine). The publications in this area are also more formal, and tend to cover a wider number of interests than in the pop culture section. Online versions of well-known print magazines ("Vogue," "Premiere" etc) are found here as well as in their subject categories.
- Things we didn't have small enough categories for. Basically, everything else: bingo, flyfishing, lottery, etc.
- These are zines solely devoted to various musical genres.
- More "serious" information--world news, business news, economic news, trade news, less interested in editorial or commentary. They are regular publications intent on updating specific readers about certain situations. Also, media-related analysis. For a more extensive collection, try The Flying Inkpot's World Newspaper Collection, with links to over 500 international newspapers online, in country categories.
- POP CULTURE
- This is the section we started out with, and our favourite. It's also the largest, so we divided it into 3 files alphabetically (A-E, F-N, P-Z) of roughly 20k each. Basically you'll find zines dealing with a mix of music, film, television, advertising, internet culture, other cultures, langauges, emotions, popular foods, toes, etc, stuff that tends to be unclassifiable but all conforming to one genre.
- Golf, tennis, hockey, stuff like that. We didn't know there were so many skateboarding zines out there.
- VISUAL ARTS
- Painting, sculpture, photography, digital art. Zines devoted to the display, purchasing or discussion of. A lot of literary zines combine photography with literature. These zines will hopefully be found in both this and the "fiction" category. Hopefully.
- Collection of movie zines amassed as part of our "movie links" collection, now housed in seperate collection of Inkpot Movie Links.
- Feminist, semi-feminist or just girls on a website talkin'. Strictly speaking, erotic writings shouldn't be included in here, but for the time being, the entries we've received have quite a bit of overlap. Other than that, this section is mostly editorials, rantings, and women stuff.
Search The Flying Inkpot's Zine and other Resource Link Directories
You UTTER Fools. You don't have my zine listed.
I'm going to email the URL, category and zine description to you RIGHT NOW.
Back to the top of this page
Back to The Flying Inkpot
| Inkpot World Newspaper Links |
| InkVault Search |
| Movie Links |
|Book Links |
| The Poetry Page | | Love Advice from Madame Chantelle L'amour | | The Letters Page | | The Inklist: All articles at The Inkpot |